Sunday, April 24, 2011

What I'm Drawing Now Day 11 - Portrait of Melanie


Now, on to the dress!

The limbs are finished, apart from a final touching up. In this picture , I have worked on the limbs as a whole, although I often do one limb, at a time. This way is quicker and sometimes results in more consistency of colour and texture. As I am working to a deadline, I have chosen this faster method. Working on each part of a picture separately is useful for concentrating on fine detail and, also,  I find that it can be less monotonous than tackling lots of large areas of continous colour in many different layers.

Once again, the photo was taken in fading light so the colours are a little faded and cooler in hue.

5 comments:

  1. The viewer is looking down on the subject. Do you like unusual angles, Vicky? Are they harder to draw than when the subject is straight on?

    Are you on target to get the drawing finished in time?

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I do like unusual angles but, more importantly, the pose has to say something about the subject. In this picture, the subject is young and a little uncertain so it makes sense to down on her. Looking up would give her an air of authority. There is so much more to say on posing a subject and pictorial story-telling that I'll write a separate post. I hope you find it interesting. x
    PS. Look on the internet at drawings taken face on of grinning subjects - they make for very bland and 2-dimensional portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep watching your posts and enjoying seeing your picture coming into completion. I'll look forwards to your post on posing a subject.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't answer your questions proerly, Sue. No, I don't find unusual angles difficult to draw - if you draw what you see rather than what you think it should look like, then it's not hard.

    I have 3 days to get the picture finished and framed before the show. That should be enough time but it is dependent upon tomorrow's work going according to plan. Sometimes, I don't know how I will tackle an area until I actually do it so I'm not exactly sure how long it will take.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the typos in my previous 2 comments - I'm rushing back to my drawing table and not taking time to read what I've written!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I appreciate your comments and feedback. Vicky