Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What I'm Drawing Now Day 7 - Portrait of Melanie

 This is where I'm at, after about 30 hours of work. Now, I'm rendering the limbs, slowly building up the layers to create depth and a believable skin tone.

Working from a photo has benefits but some real disadvantages. For instance, the colours are rarely accurate and distortions often occur. It is also easy for the artist to get overly concerned about detail to the detriment of the picture as a whole. To compensate, I periodically squint at the photo and the picture together, to get a general idea of value, rather than specific details. I will also go over the entire picture during the final stage to make adjustments. Glaring errors will be more obvious when I can see the picture as a whole.

Below is my drawing table. As you can see, this is a large picture - it doesn't even fit on the table! This is something I hope to remedy before my next big project.


Below, is another photo of Melanie - a different day, different lighting and a different look. No wonder it is easier to work from life!

6 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! So much work involved. Writing must be a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did notice that you have changed the eyes a little bit, but thought it was just me. I probably won't post any of my work. I'd be too ashamed to after looking at your drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your feedback, Sue and Immy! You're right, Immy - I did work on the eyes. But you shouldn't worry about posting your work. I'm never satisfied, either - I think most people are critical of their own work. It's called 'growing'! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you have a new background. I like it. It's nice and bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful background! Your blog looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I appreciate your comments and feedback. Vicky