Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Religious Sister - A Preliminary Sketch

Here's a first sketch of the nun I am working on. The quality of the photo is proving to be quite challenging and I will have to adjust my style to compensate. This portrait won't have the detail of my usual work. Instead, I will have to study the basic form of the shadows and identify the impressions which give the face its likeness. I think it would be a mistake to try to invent detail which isn't there but, at the same time, I need to improve on what is lacking in the photo.

As usual, the picture will take on a life of its own. I will plan only so far, before I begin, and then I will allow the portrait to develop, experimenting with what appears to work and making decisions as I go. A lot of faith and trust is needed, at this point, considering the quality of my reference materials and the divergence from my normal drawing style.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like this is going to be a difficult project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like a challenge!!! Fingers crossed that I get a likeness. Thank you for your comment, Immy:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I appreciate your comments and feedback. Vicky